Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myMPNteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

But I’m told on here that an MPN Specialist would generally make you get one?

February 25, 2024
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared their experiences with bone marrow biopsies for MPN diagnosis, with most describing the procedure as tolerable despite varying... Read more

Members shared their experiences with bone marrow biopsies for MPN diagnosis, with most describing the procedure as tolerable despite varying levels of discomfort, ranging from mild pressure and a tugging sensation to feeling like a charley horse or brief sharp pain during the drilling phase. Several members emphasized the importance of having an experienced practitioner perform the biopsy, choosing sedation options like propofol or conscious sedation to minimize discomfort, and preparing mentally with distractions like music. A recurring theme was the strong recommendation to get a baseline bone marrow biopsy even when blood tests show a JAK2 mutation, as the biopsy provides crucial information about fibrosis levels and helps rule out conditions like pre-PMF or MF that could affect treatment decisions down the road.

A myMPNteam Member

Yeah it sounds like to need to see a MPN specialist. You typically need an examination of the actual bone marrow to review the level of fibrosis. That's a crucial report to get. I did my most recent bone marrow biopsy (BMB) under conscious sedation, CT guided. I don't remember anything and recovery was a breeze.

February 25, 2024
A myMPNteam Member

I have residual pain from my bone marrow biopsy. For me, the initial pain was fine, it’s the ongoing that sucks

March 9, 2024
A myMPNteam Member

No bmb, nor has is been suggested. Evidence of JAK2 was all they needed - plus my bloods showed red cells at 221 which was very near death for me, and I could feel my heart almost stop a number of times. Numerous venesections followed, obviously!!! I now suggest to all my friends that annual or bi-annual blood tests are essential and may just save your life. Currently waiting to go on a trial drug in Melbourne 🇦🇺

March 7, 2024
A myMPNteam Member

I had one done by my first Oncologist when I was first diagnosed in 2018, and just had another one ordered by my MPN specialist. First one didn't hurt as much as the second, but he didn't get a very good sample. This time they went in TWO times to get a good sample. It hurt. Two days later, it isn't too bad. I'd do it again if necessary to get the best diagnosis and treatment.

February 25, 2024
A myMPNteam Member

I had a CT-guided BMB to finalize a diagnosis of MF in April 2021. As a Radiologic Technologist, I knew I would have to lay very still. I chose to have sedation (propofol) to not be tempted to move during the procedure. Best decision! Added plus - you don't feel the pain/discomfort or hear what is going on, even though the procedure is quick.

February 25, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A myMPNteam Member asked a question 💭
Boring, OR

A myMPNteam Member asked a question 💭
Roswell, NM

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In